Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Spring Wake Up!

After putting some gas into Maxi, I prepared to start it up for the first time this year.  The engine cranked, which was a bonus, as it meant the battery had juice left over from the fall.  But it wasn't catching, so I got out to pop the hood and make sure the carb was getting gas.  Well... as I reached for the little wire pull the previous owner set up to get the hood popped, I couldn't find it!

Long story short, after managing to get the car pushed back just enough to get in front of it in the garage, I found what was left of the wire pull, got the hood open, closed the "flapper" on the carb, and the car started right up!  The next step was getting some more gas, then a trip up and down the highway.

The photo here shows the car on it's first real ride of the season.  I took it out to Boxborough MA for a stamp show.  Not something you'd expect to see in a hotel parking lot during a non-car show!  Before I left town, though, I stopped to check the transmission fluid level.  Good thing I did... it was just about empty!

2 comments:

  1. Hello, My name is Javelin. Yes, Javelin just like the car. When I was little my dad had several of them. One in particular was a 1974 Javelin which he restored from the ground up before I was born just to bring me home from the hospital. this car was Maxi blue, I believe it had a push to start button, and he used paint thinner or something to remove the paint from around the tail lights to make them more red... I'm just curious if this is the same car. After my parents split up my dad had to sell it to get us into a house...I believe it was sometime around 1996. My email is javelinalexander@yahoo.com please feel free to email me anytime, I would love to hear more about Maxi, as you call him/her. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure this isn't the same car! As far as we know, I am only the second person to register it, and the taillights showed regular paint wear, not paint removal.

      Delete