Friday, October 14, 2011

UPDATE: Grillin'...

Wellp, I finally decided to go ahead and paint my kinda-restored 1974 Javelin grille.  A while ago I bought a group of damaged grilles, and from them I used a plastic repair kit and remake some of the missing parts.  I sold two so far (both '72 Javelin grilles), and have been teying to decide if I will keep the '74 one for myself or not.  So, last week I sprayed the semi gloss black areas, and I just masked everything and applied some flat silver.  Now I need to figure out how to get that slightly darker and rougher silver finish that no one seems to ever replicate when they repaint their grilles.  It is something you can see in person when looking at an NOS example, but very hard to figure out in photos.

In primer since 2009!
Detail of an NOS grille showing third shade of paint

No comments:

Post a Comment